[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Bob Griese's Politically Incorrect Taco Incident

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bob Griese's Politically Incorrect Taco Incident

Poor Bob Griese. The Hall-of-Famer, former Miami Dolphins QB and long-time ABC college football announcer gets a one-game suspension for stating that Colombian NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya was "out having a taco" during a college football broadcast this past weekend.

I won't bore my readers with all the reasons Griese's suspension is ridiculous. I'll just say that I wish it was me, not Montoya, Griese referenced as the taco-consumer. My public reply would then have been:

"Excuse me, Mr. Griese, but on my time off I choose to eat what any self-respecting Cuban-American would, a big, hearty plate of Cuban black beans and rice".

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Political correctness gone amok.

6:49 PM, October 27, 2009  
Blogger Rick said...

"In staff meetings Tuesday [October 3, 2006], Miami Herald reporters asked whether the paper was caving to critics. Editor Tom Fiedler dismissed that notion, saying the '22 people who listen to Cuban radio' were being stirred up by 'little chihuahuas nipping at our heels.' He later apologized for his choice of words." ("A column, a quarrel - and change at the top" Miami Herald, Oct. 4, 2006)

Curious, Robert.

How do you interpret this to be different from the Herald's Tom Fiedler insinuating that Cuban-Americans were "little chihuahuas nipping?"

As you recall, this caused quite a stir in Miami.

Thanks.

.

7:44 PM, October 27, 2009  
Blogger Robert said...

I remember the Fiedler "chihuahua" comment very well, and I actually considered mentioning it in this post.

The short of it is that I wasn't offended at Fiedler's comments three years ago from an ethnic point of view. I was more bothered by his flippant attitude. Here's how I opened that post on 10/5/06:

I don't think Fiedler directed his "chihuahua" comment directly at all Cuban-Americans. I did not take it personally as an insult. By only focusing on this, however, we're missing the point which is Fiedler's flippant attitude in this case.

Here's the post in it's entirety.

9:10 PM, October 27, 2009  
Blogger Rick said...

Got it. Thanks.

.

9:32 PM, October 27, 2009  
Blogger La Ventanita said...

This is ridiculous; everyone knows Colombians don't eat tacos, they eat arepas or bandeja paisa...ok I'll stop, since I'm making myself crave stuff I have no access to.

That suspension is the most retarded thing I've read in a long time.

9:45 PM, October 27, 2009  
Blogger Robert said...

LV,

The original draft of this post mentioned arepas and whether Griese would have been left alone or raked even more over the coals had he gotten his country/food combination correct, but it also made me too hungry for my own good.

9:54 PM, October 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home